Saturday, March 12, 2011

Cheering with the Korean Red Devils

My Korean friend, Seungji, recommended I check out the Korean Red Devils - people who cheer for the Korean National Football Team during games. I had NO idea what to expect, and have been blown away by the pictures and videos I found. Supporters come out by the thousands during games to congregate in public plazas to watch games on jumbotron screens and cheer together. This should give you some idea of the scale of these gatherings:

Red Devils in Seoul Plaza during the 2002 World Cup

The "Red Devils" are such huge supporters of the national team that they have often been called the "12th member" of the team. Here's some video footage of the passionate fans!



I'm not very into sports but I think I would HAVE to go be a part of this if I had the opportunity at  some point. It looks like a lot of fun, and has such cameraderie involved! I love that they even clean up as a group afterwards:) 

2 comments: